Getting Started
Session 0
So I finally figured out what I can use this silly Blog for. Trying to make a concentrated effort to improve my surf skills! (and something to keep me active during the long hours of work.) Inspired by the StokeMasters (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StokeMasters/) I decided to join them in doing the same, and will chronicle my surf adventures and evolution as much as I can here. How exciting!
So...it is time to assess my current skills as a surfer. Sadly to say, while I have spent some solid time in the water, and have experienced a wide range of different types of waves, I am really not a very consistent or skilled surfer, and lack the ability to consistently catch and ride the face of a wave the way I would like to. There are many areas I need to work on--notably standing up quicker so that I can make the drop and have some wave to work with--instead of belly riding the break and standing up in the whitewater. So I'm working on that. In retrospect, I would have benefited probably from more time on a long board--but I have a great 6-8 funboard now that I really like, that is stable, and that I don't have much problem catching waves on--so I'm going to keep growing on that. I'm confident I'll be OK.
As for improving--unfortunately I live about an hour from any waves (valley kook, as they say), and have to work all week long--making it difficult to get frequent sessions that are required to really progress. I think I'll use this site as motivation to get me out more often, maybe even some dawn patrol sessions before work (perhaps I can stay with a friend in SF so as to be closer to Linda Mar area). Surfing good conditions w/o a crowd is something I've only been able to experience a few times--it's about as blissful an experience as I can describe. I'll take more of that please!
OK--I better get to work. I'll be back, and as I learn more about blogging, maybe get some pictures or links or something actually moderately interesting up here. Aloha!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home